Rapid expansion of the Health Professions Education has created a demand for a new cadre of educators and leaders who are competent and motivated for promoting transformative learning across the health profession. The new career pathway provided by the SBV caters to the aspirants from medical, dentistry, nursing and allied health sciences to pursue higher degrees in a flexible manner.
The unique features of the new programs are Competency Based Curriculum designed on the Choice Based Credit System (CBCS) recommended by the UGC as a major reform in higher education. The programs are based on “Heutagogy model” with flexibility for self-determined learning.
Four Certificate Courses (each of three months duration and carrying 8 credits each) can be pursued during the first year to obtain 32 Credits.
- With additional requirements of portfolio (2 credits), mini-project (2 credits) and successful completion of examination, the candidates can obtain PGDHPE (Total=36 credits)
- Those holding Masters Degree (M.D., M.S., etc.) can continue to M.Phil. Degree (36 credits) with two years study (part-time). Subsequently, they can pursue Ph D. Degree.
Postgraduates in Medical/Dentistry/Nursing/Public Health are eligible for entry to PGDHPE or M. Phil (2 years course). Graduates in above specialities with two years academic work experience are eligible for PGDHPE. Graduates in Allied Health Science recognized by the UGC with two years academic work experience are also eligible for PGDHPE.
Those who have completed FAIMER Fellowship or Advanced Course by the MCI or equivalent, are eligible for lateral entry into M. Phil ( Part Time-Two Years).
The core competencies expected at the end of the program are
Course content for the Four Certificate Courses leading to PGDHPE
- Teaching, Training, Mentoring and Facilitation skills
- Critical Thinking and Research Skills to promote innovation
- Communication and Managerial skills to lead/work in a health team
- Curriculum Planning, Instructional Designing and harnessing ICT
- Professionalism including ethical behaviour and values required for developing learner-oriented, quality conscious professionals
- Certificate in Principles of Education for Health Professions (CPE-HPE)
- Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Health Professions Education (CTL- HPE)
- Certificate in Assessment of Educational Process (CAEP)
- Certificate in Health Professions Education–Management and Research (CHPE-MR)
See Curriculum of Certificate Courses and PGDHPE
The M. Phil. curriculum (36 credits) is the extension of PGDHPE. A student has to choose two areas from the above courses for in-depth study (course work) as electives (2 x 8 = 16 credits ). They have to study a core course on Research Methodology 4 credits) along with an Educational Project (12 credits) besides maintaining a portfolio ( (4 Credits)
See Curriculum of M Phil
Certificate Courses and PGDHPE
- Face to face sessions/seminars twice a week, besides practice teaching (microteaching/mini-teaching), assignments, web-based discussions and internal test for Certificate Courses;
- In addition, mini-project and portfolio for PGDHPE
- Weekly mentoring and /or periodical contact sessions by dedicated mentors (Total 60 Hours)
- Online chat and web discussion (evidence to be recorded in the portfolio)
- Participation in academic activities (Journal Clubs), Guest Lectures, Workshops, conferences at the local or national level, presentation of posters and publication of papers highly desirable
- Major project and submission of dissertation
- Portfolio of all work done Submission of Monographs
- Presentation of work before the Research Advisory Committee
Click here for comments from alumni of PGDHE
- Assessment includes both formative and summative components with
- Comprehensive internal assessment through Multiple Source Feedback
- The project work and portfolio are a part of the assessment.
- Final assessment of theory includes written examination which is concept based and not memory based.
- Conversion of marks into Grade Point Computation of Credit Points, Grade Point Average and Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) as per UGC norms and best practices adopted SBV from time to time.
The courses are conducted by faculty with more than 20 years’ experience of organising faculty development workshops at National Teacher Training Centre (NTTC) and other reputed centres.
SBV has excellent infrastructure – lecture hall, seminar hall and group discussion rooms including high-end audiovisual equipment. Services of a central library, IT facility with high-speed networking, teleconferencing facility and simulation centres for skills training are available on demand.
Specialization in health professions education offers unique opportunities for medical/dental/nursing professionals to emerge as leaders in this critical domain. They can choose to be teachers (subject to fulfilling required qualification), trainers, curriculum planners or administrators. Those with M.Phil degree can pursue career in educational research. Many of the organizations allocate a higher weightage for the expertise in education both for recruiting or promoting key positions such as Deans, Registrars, and Controllers of examination in colleges and Universities.