Periodontology is the specialty that focuses on prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of the diseases of gingiva and other surrounding tissues. The Department of Periodontology at IGIDS offers Undergraduate and Postgraduate programs along with guideship for Ph.D. programs leading to the degree of Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS), Master of Dental Surgery (MDS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) awarded by the Sri BalajiVidyapeeth Deemed-to-be-University. With the approval of the Dental Council of India the undergraduate program was commenced in the year 2006 and the postgraduate program in 2012.
The main goal of the department is to provide basic and advanced treatment in Periodontology through integrated scientific learning and to be a forerunner in advanced research and clinical practices. The objective of the department is to train the students in the art and science of diagnosis and non surgical and surgical periodontal therapy, to understand the etio-pathogensis and risk factors of periodontal disease, correlate other disciplines of dentistry with periodontal health, to be a centre of excellence for periodontal regeneration and implantology, to gain global outreach with national and international publications and poster an attitude of lifelong learning. They are exposed to various implant systems, recent advanced facilities like LASER, Piezosurgical procedures as a part of the curriculum.
To provide basic and advanced treatment in Periodontology through integrated scientific learning and to be a forerunner in advanced research and clinical practices
- To train the undergraduate & postgraduate students in the art and science of non-surgical and surgical periodontal therapy through the evidence-based approach
- To understand the etiopathogenesis and risk factors for periodontal diseases
- To correlate the other disciplines of dentistry with periodontal health
- To be a center of excellence for periodontal regeneration & Implantology
- To gain global outreach through national and international publications
- To foster an attitude of lifelong learning