Institute Human Ethics Committee (IHEC)
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC) of Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, Puducherry (MGMCRI) was established in the year 2009, aimed at promoting ethical clinical research that protects the rights and safety of study participants. The undergraduates, postgraduates and Ph.D. Scholars, faculties and anyone who undertake clinical research in the institute follow the ethical guidelines necessitated by IHEC, MGMCRI.
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC), reviews all research proposals on human participants as per ICMR guidelines 2017. Proposals that have less than minimal risk or no risk is reviewed by the subcommittee.
The researcher in MGMCRI who wishes to undertake clinical research on human participants follow a systematic protocol so that the rights, safety, and well-being of the study participants are protected. After approval from the Institutional Research Committee, the researcher who undertakes a study on human participants submits the proposal to the Institutional Human Ethics Committee. The IHEC conducts regular meetings for reviewing the research proposals and give suggestions to the investigators to make their research ethical, thereby approving the research proposal or disapproving it if it does not comply ethically. All researchers who undertake research projects in humans should get approval from IHEC before the commencement of the study..
Important Guidelines Regrading Functioning of IHEC
- Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC) will be held quarterly.
- After the notice of the ethical committee to submit the research proposals for ethical clearance, the researcher needs to submit both hard and softy copies of the proposal and other necessary documents to the member secretary, IHEC on any working day till the last day mentioned in the circular.
- All proposals should be written in the English language and consent forms should be in both English and Tamil.
- At least three-week prior notice regarding the ethical meeting will be provided to the researchers.
- Serious adverse events should be intimated to IHEC within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the event.
- Ethical approval is valid only for the period mentioned in the certificate of approval.
- Any change in study procedure, site and investigator should be intimated to the IHEC.
- Annual report of the project to be submitted to IHEC for approval.
- Members of IHEC have the right to review the trial/study with prior intimation.