Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology
Department of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology is one of the most active departments in Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute. The Department of Dermatology, Venereology & Leprology started functioning since the inception of the institute in 2001. It has competent faculty, well-equipped laboratory, and dermato-surgical unit. The department offers comprehensive dermatologic care with special clinics for leprosy, STI’s transgenders, dermatosurgery.
For almost a decade, the Department has been training undergraduate students. Since 2007 it has been training post-graduate students through the MD program. Both are certified and recognized by the Medical Council of India.
It now caters to a large population not only in and around Puducherry but also from South Arcot district. It is also one of the premier referral centres in this area.
In addition to routine teaching and provision of health care to patients, the department since 2007 has been identified as Sentinel Surveillance site by the Puducherry AIDS control society [PACS] for HIV, making it the only private institute in the Union Territory identified to participate in such a National Programme.
The department also actively participates in national programmes in leprosy & collaborates with NACO for the Red Ribbon Club activities.
- To offer holistic treatment to patients reporting to open with skin diseases, STI and leprosy.
- To provide an ambiance where transgender persons, PLHA and those with leprosy are comfortable to seek medical care.
- To give institutionalized care with a multidisciplinary approach to patients with critical skin diseases.
- Introduction of advanced diagnostic techniques like immuno-fluorescence.
- Initiating genomic studies for genetic disorders.
- Establishing a skin bank.
- To offer fellowship programs in dermatosurgery, dermatopathology and pediatric dermatology.
- Developing a solarium as a robust treatment modality for a variety of photoresponsive skin conditions.