General Surgery is one of the major departments in Mahatma Gandhi Medical College and Research Institute. It has been around since the inception of the institute and over the period has grown into a large force boasting of academically renowned professors, competent faculty, well equipped operating theatre and an endoscopy suite. It now caters to a large population base in and around Pondicherry as well as patients from afar. It is also one of the premier referral centres in this area.
We provide comprehensive health care to all the patients who are in need. Apart from the routine surgical work all major surgical, as well as minimally invasive procedures, are performed at our institute.
- To develop a Training Centre in Endoscopic Procedures – Diagnostic and Therapeutic.
- To develop the department as the Zonal Centre for “Sex Reassignment Surgery”(SRS) for transgenders.
- To facilitate the postgraduates to practice surgery safely and effectively, supported by scientific knowledge and skills.
- To facilitate the residents have a keen interest in patient care and develop a caring attitude.
- To facilitate the residents maintain high ethical standards.
- To aid the residents to have a sufficient understanding of basic science related to surgery.
- To make the residents diagnose and manage majority of surgical conditions independently with the help of knowledge gained through comprehensive training and experience.
- To encourage the residents to exhibit competence in the basic concepts of research methodology and teaching skills.
- To develop the Department of General Surgery into a state of the art training centre for Basic and Advanced Laparoscopic and Robotic Surgery.
- To develop our department into a research-oriented training centre for residents and faculties.
- To become a premier centre in providing comprehensive healthcare to the needy.
- Prize exam for Surgery Postgraduates.
- Advanced centre for Sex Reassignment Surgery
- Regular Breast Cancer Screening Centre.
- Surgical Oncology referral centre.
- Advanced Laparoscopic training centre.