The department had its origin in the year 2001. The department and the faculty gradually grew to the existing number. Right from the inception one theory class per week and regular clinical postings are being conducted for the undergraduates. The department balances both the undergraduate and postgraduate teaching methods specifically tailored for the respective needs. Above all the department tries to inculcate the modern clinical practices in view of the ever-changing medical world along with quality patient care.
The Department of Pulmonary Medicine was the first to adopt the NTEP (RNTCP) among the Medical colleges in Puducherry region. The department is also the first in the region to offer interventional pulmonology services in the private care sector and also has Level 1 Sleep laboratory and level 2 pulmonary function testing lab with services provided at an affordable cost in state-of-the-art imported infrastructure. Currently, the department also offers allergy skin testing as well as immunotherapy services.
To empower our students and faculty to be at par with global standards – regards to their competence, professionalism, ethical practice of holistic, compassionate, evidence based treatment and to provide state of art Pulmonary care to patients.
- To implement competency based residency program for postgraduates so as to produce professionals who are competent, compassionate and use ethical, evidence based medicine.
- To focus on developing best diagnostic and therapeutic modalities for people having respiratory disorders and implement them for better patient care.
- To foster research in areas of national and international priorities especially in the field of COPD, TUBERCULOSIS and ASTHMA.
- To foster cooperation with industry where the subjects are exposed to inhale pollutants and to enable the benefits of research to reach the community. To foster academic and research collaborations both nationally and internationally to enable SBV to be an active participant in emerging areas of medicine.
- To focus on the interface between modern medicine and complementary to create evidence for their synergistic use.