The department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology was established in the year 2001. It is a well equipped and fully staffed department and manned by faculties from different parts of India with many years of experience behind them.
Objectives of the Department
- To impart medicolegal knowledge on different aspects of medicine to students so that they are fully capable to deal with such issues in their clinical practice
- Training on proper medicolegal documentation and examination of cases to facilitate an atmosphere of learning and research
- To develop a well-organized department with all modern teaching facilities to train UG, PG & medical officers to cater to medico-legal services to the community.
- To develop an atmosphere of research and innovations so that faculty can develop their competence to national and international standards
- To train the students in Medicolegal autopsy & Clinical Forensic Medicine to apply their medical knowledge in the administration of justice
- To develop state of the art Departmental Museum and Autopsy Centre to train UG & PG students
- To start PDC (Poison Detection Centre) with interdepartmental coordination for research & patient care
- To educate stakeholders (faculty & students) on up to date medicolegal issues
- To involve UG students in research activities like students’ ICMR projects (STS).
- To conduct various researches in issues related to Medicolegal point of view in branches like forensic anthropology, sexual assault cases, forensic pathology, paediatric forensic medicine etc.