CAReTS of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth in association with the Society of Toxicology, India organized the 38th Annual conference of the society of toxicology as the international conference on “The role of toxicology in public health from December 13-14, 2018 named STOXX 2018.
The conference commenced with a national seminar on “Innovations in public health”, which was organized as the scientific event as a part of the STOXX 2018 pre-conference inauguration at Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth on 01-10-18 at 9:00 AM. Dr. S.R. Rao, Senior Advisor, and Scientist H, Government of India, Department of Biotechnology, New Delhi inaugurated the pre-conference activities and delivered the inaugural address. Dr. S.R. Rao emphasized on toxins exposure and its risk to public health such as biosecurity and management, the relationship between human health, animal health, and environment.
Dr. Morarji Pessay, Consultant Neonatologist from Georgetown University Hospital, Washington D.C. USA, addressed the gathering on ‘Best Time to Innovate in Medicine’ the importance of women in innovations, research, and public health. He introduced to the delegates simple methods to creativity and innovations in healthcare. Prof. S.C. Parija, Vice-Chancellor, Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth presided over the function and delivered the presidential address by introducing SBV’s strategy on innovation and public health.
STOXX 2019 was structured in a modular concept with various skill development workshop modules, Public outreach modules, and deliberations on concerns with reference to Toxicology, Yoga and Salutogenesis; Environmental Toxicology; Food, Food Additives, and Drug Toxicology; Industrial Toxicology’ Systems Toxicology; Nanomaterial Toxicology; and Marine Toxicology. STOXX 2018 objective was to build advanced skill development and deeper faith and bonding between the attendees and seeding awareness to the participants and the public comprising of health care seekers (the public); health care providers and scientists (the professionals), health care policy makers (the regulators) and the Future Generations (the students)
The Conference kicked off with the opening ceremony of STOXX 2018: Welcome address by Dr. M. Ravisankar, Dean, MGMCRI, Puducherry followed by the lighting of lamp by the dignitaries Dr. Alok Dhawan, president, STOXX, Dr. Raisuddin, Vice-president, STOXX and Dr. P. V. Mohanan, Secretary-General, STOXX, Dr. S. C. Parija, Vice-Chancellor, SBV, Puducherry, Dr. Balanehru Subramanian, Director, CIDRF & Organizing secretary, STOX2018. STOX2018-Souvenir was released by the chief guest.
An instrumental STOXX 2018 theme song was composed and played (Veena) by Ms. Amsaveni, final year MBBS student at MGMCRI and D/o Prof.V.Gopal, Principal, College of Pharmacy, Mother Theresa Post Graduate And Research Institute Of Health Sciences, Puducherry.
Dr. Balanehru Subramanian, Director, CIDRF, SBV, Puducherry, introduced STOXX-2018 as a unique event where the concept of toxicology has been introduced and explained to the different population of the society (School Children, College Students, Researchers, Scientist, Public including senior citizens). The Organizing secretary, STOXX 2018 also presented the overview of the STOXX 2018 activities conducted at the pre-conference workshops. A total of four skill development modules were successfully organized on the topics,
- Hands-on Workshop on Predictive Toxicology – PCR technique for Clinical Researchers held on 15th & 16th November 2018,
- Laboratory Animal Experimentation for Researchers held on 28th November 2018,
- Hands-on workshop on Animal handling, Sampling and Histopathology held on 29th & 30th November 2018 and
- Simple Toxicological methods for student research projects on 12th December 2018.
A total of 150 participants actively participated in the event and were trained hands-on to promote their research skills.
A series of public outreach modules were organized on
- A health education program on “Salt, Sugar and Contaminated Water” held on 14th November 2018, on the theme ‘Fact Vs Fantasy’, organized by IGIDS, SBV, Puducherry at Thiyagi K.R.Subramaniya Padiyathchi Govt.School, Koravallimedu, Bahoor.
- Public Curtain raiser program on “Prevention of Toxic Exposures” held on 19th November 2018, on the theme ‘Microplastics’ organized by KGNC, SBV, Puducherry at Government Girls High Secondary School, Madukarai and Community Hall, Pillaiyarkuppam Village, Puducherry.
- Public/School Children outreach program as poster competition on the theme ‘Recycling and Waste Management’ organized in collaboration with the Department of Surgery, MGMCRI, SBV, Puducherry at Townhall, Cuddalore.
- 3G Healthy living module on “Time tested Tips and Traditions” held on 10th November 2018 on the theme ‘Healthy Living’ organized in collaboration with Bharathi Lions Club, Cuddalore and Helpage India, Thamaraikullam, Cuddalore.
More than 1000 members including school children, students and public benefited from the public outreach modules.
Prof. S.C. Parija, Vice-Chancellor, SBV conferred the presidential address in which he welcomed all the delegates and insisted on “finding new solutions in the area of toxicology and forecast the future trends to contribute to global needs”.
Dr. Alok Dhawan, Director, Indian Institute of Toxicology Research (CSIR-IITR), Lucknow during his inaugural address explained toxicology concept to the gathering by saying “it’s not the compound which makes it toxin, it’s the amount/concentration which makes a compound toxic”, and cautioned scientific researchers about the importance of scientific documentation in dealing with toxic substances.
Special Workshop on Yoga-Salutogenesis by Dr. Ananda Balakrishna Yogi, Director, CYTER, SBV enlightened the Conference and the delegates through “Self-cleaning – Illness to Wellness”. Speakers at the Conference included committed researchers, Toxicologists, Eminent scientists from various parts of the country.
Participants of the Conference were equally as exciting as the speakers. There were 244 participants from various parts of the country. Among them, 161 were students and 83 were the scientist, research scholars, and faculties from various institutes in India. A total of 28 Oral and 30 posters were presented by the scientist, faculties and research scholars in STOXX 2018 conference on the various toxicological concepts. Out of 28 Oral presentations, 2 presentations were selected and awarded first and second prize cash reward of Rs. 10,000/- and Rs. 5,000/- respectively. Similarly, top 2 poster presentations were selected and awarded Rs. 5,000/- and Rs 2,500/- for the first and second prize awardees respectively.