Institutional Human Ethics Committee
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC) of Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute (MGMCRI), Pondicherry was established in the year 2009, aimed at promoting ethical clinical research that protects the rights and safety of study participants. The undergraduates, post graduates and Ph.D. Scholars, faculties and anyone who undertake clinical research in the institute follow the ethical guidelines necessitated by IHEC, MGMCRI.
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC), reviews all research proposals on human participants as per ICMR guidelines 2017. Proposals that have less than minimal risk or no risk is reviewed by the Expedited Review Committee.
How to submit a proposal for ethical clearance
- Prior Approval Certificate: IHEC will consider only those proposals that are approved by Institutional Research Committee (IRC), Postgraduate training and Research Committee (PGRC), Ph.D. doctoral Committee, Clinical Trial Research Committee (CTRC) and other appropriate committee.
- All application must be as per the SBV, MGMCRI template format and must be signed by all involved investigators, and other relevant authorities of the Department/ University as applicable.
- Application must be addressed to the Member Secretary / Chairperson of IHEC, MGMCRI.
- All applications must be submitted in duplicate (print -hard copies) and one soft copy (only in PDF) on a pen drive at the Office of IHEC. (Email submission will not be accepted)
- Application received only 4 weeks before the schedules meeting will be eligible to be taken up for the next upcoming meeting.
- It is the PI`s responsibility to submit the corrections advised within the stipulated time (preferable within 5 working days).
- Incomplete Forms/ Protocols are liable to undue delays
- The Complete Protocol Package as per the IHEC SOP is necessary to initiate the Review process
- If required the PI may be invited by the Secretary, IHEC to clarify ethical doubts, either orally, or in writing or in form of presentation. In such event, the PI personally or with his Team has to make himself/ team available for the clarification. In the unusual event that the PI is unable to be present he/she representative along with a letter highlighting reasons for absence.
- Six monthly or annually progress report and study closure report are mandatory.
- Changes in the title, objectives, methodology and /or analysis requires reporting to the IHEC, which will be decided on whether fresh application for ethical clearance is required.
- Decision on ethical waiver, exemption review, expedited review or full board review rest solely with the IHEC.
1. Preparation of Standard Operating Procedures for Institutional Human Ethics Committee, MGMCRI.
2. Constitution of Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC), Selection, Roles and Responsibilities of Members of the IHEC,MGMCRI
3. Handling Conflict of Interest among Ethics Committee Members
4. Selection and Responsibilities of Independent Consultants
5. Procedures for allowing Guest/ Observer to visit Institutional Human Ethics Committee or attend IHEC meeting
6. Management of Submission of Research Study Protocol and Study Related Documents
7. Categorization of New Research Study Protocols for Initial Review
7A. Initial Full Board Review of New Research Study Protocols
7B. Expedited Review of Research Study Protocols
7C. Exemption from Ethics Review of Research Study Protocols
8. Agenda Preparation, Meeting Procedures and Recording of Minutes
9. Review of Resubmitted and Amended Protocols and Protocol-related Documents
10. Continuing Review of Study Protocols
11. Review of Protocol Deviations / Violations
12. Review of Serious Adverse Event (SAE)
13. Review of Study Completion Reports
14. Management of Premature Termination / Suspension / Discontinuation of the Study
15. Waiver of Written/ Verbal Informed Consent
16. Site Monitoring and Post Monitoring Activities
17. Dealing with Participant’s Requests and/or Complaints to Institutional Human Ethics Committee
18. Maintenance of Active Study Files, Administrative Records of the Ethics Committee, Archival of Closed Files and Retrieval of Documents
19. Reviewing Proposals Involving Vulnerable Populations
20. Preparation for Audit / Inspection
21. Training and Assessment of Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC) Members
1. Cover letter-template
2. Curriculum Vital for the Investigators
3a. Checklist for protocol submission-Student
3b. Checklist for protocol submission-Faculty
3c. Checklist for protocol submission-Clinical Trial
4. Declaration or Integrity statement
5. Review Exemption Form
6. Expedited Review ( to be submitted along with cover letter)
7. Requisition for waiver of consent
8. Protocol related documents Amendment Request and Assessment Form
9. Continuing Review Application Form
10. Data Elements for reporting serious adverse events occurring in a clinical trial
11. Study Completion Report
12. Request or Complaint form
13. Document Request Form
14. Checklist-Requirements for research involving children
15. Checklist-Requirements for research involving pregnant women & fetuses
16. Checklist-Research involving students, employees or residents
17. Checklist-Research involving cognitively impaired adults
18. Checklist-Considerations for genetic research
- CDSCO- New Drugs and Clinical Trials Rules 2019
- ICH Good Clinical Practice Guidelines E6 (R2). The International Council for Harmonisation (ICH)
- WEB-CIOMS-Ethical Guidelines
- WHO Guidelines on ethical issues in public health surveillance
- WHO Standards and operational guidance for ethics review of health-related research