Medical Education Unit
Medical teachers are the architects and builders of students’ behaviour using a standard curriculum. They are also the curricular developers and thus have a pivotal role in shaping future medicos. Hence, Medical education unit (MEU) , the nucleus of all academic activities of a medical college, is responsible not only for teaching-learning activity of both undergraduate and postgraduate but also training of the faculty in medical education technology. As per the regulation of Medical Council of India (MCI), all medical college should have a functioning MEU, which should take a lead role in curriculum development and implementation. In that line, MGMCRI has an active medical education unit responsible for all undergraduate and postgraduate academic activity besides regular and need-based faculty development program.
MEU of MGMCRI is a constant source of all academic activity from the date of inception of the institution since 2001. Gradually it expanded its activity into various curricular development, implementation and monitoring activity including capacity building activity of faculty. Many of our faculty have taken teachers’ training at the National Teacher Training Center, JIPMER, Puducherry.
In 2014 MEU, MGMCRI got a permanent 6000 sq.ft area with infrastructure as required by MCI to carry out its activity. With the availability of infrastructure and qualified, trained manpower it has the potential to be upgraded to the regional center.
Under the dynamic leadership of our Chairman / Chancellor, Vice-chairman and Vice-Chancellor of SBV, MEU in association with Partner Medical International (PMI) has conducted an international level leadership training program for the faculty of MGMCRI and SSSMCRI.
Time to time it takes initiative to conduct national and international level CME, conference and workshop.
- To make MGMCRI a globally recognised Medical Educational hub.
- To conduct training activities for capacity building of faculty members in educational science and technology.
- To conduct orientation programs for interns on principles of quality care and ethics.
- To organize training workshops for postgraduates and faculty members on research methodology and ethics
- To collaborate with educational units of other health professions (Dentistry and Nursing) to promote interdisciplinary education, research and to set standards for the deemed-to-be-University.
- To motivate and facilitate academic staff to pursue doctoral research and higher education in educational sciences and technology.
- To guide effective organization of continuing education activities in various specialities.
The MEU is housed in the first floor of the college annexe block which is situated at the north-west side of the main college block and south side of the central library. This block is accessible through the road between main college block, central library block and IGIDS college building.
- To introduce advanced programs including Research Programs in medical and health professional education
- To introduce a robust system of quality assurance in medical education and to set standards on par with the international standards.
- To develop a robust e-learning system including the Learning Management System.
- To facilitate and introduce inter-professional education
- To address the linking of education systems with medical practice and health care delivery system
- To conduct MCI recognised workshop on Medical Education Technologies.
Activities in Medical Education contemplated as per MCI norms
- Basic training in education technology
- Advanced training for selected faculty involved with MEU
- Grooming teachers to play additional roles
- Curriculum development and reforms
- Monitoring the rational use of education and information technology
- Research in medical education
- Education Administration & Education Audit