The Department of Microbiology had a modest beginning in March 2002 rendering diagnostic microbiology services, sharing a common lab along with clinical biochemistry and clinical pathology.
Currently, it has developed its diagnostic services as well as improved teaching facilities to cater to the increased strength of MBBS students, apart from BDS, B.Sc. Nursing, Post Basic Nursing, MD Microbiology and M.Sc. Medical Microbiology students. It offers quality diagnostic services to the various clinical departments at an affordable cost.
The microbiology department has three main roles
- Academic activities
- Diagnostic laboratory services
- Research activities
- To achieve national & international recognition in teaching, diagnostics, patient care & research in clinical microbiology with special emphasis on infectious diseases.
- To bring about innovation in Teaching- Learning processes so that the graduates will achieve comprehensive medical education.
- To empower our students and faculties so that they are at par with global standards with regards to their competence, professionalism in speedy diagnosis & research.
- To implement Integrated Teaching curriculum within the framework of MCI.
- To continue Innovative Teaching & Learning aids in advance with Learning Management System, Seminars, SGT, Symposium, CME , Conference.
- To get accreditation of Microbiology lab from National Accreditation Board for Laboratories (NABL) for quality patient care.
- Continued participation in National programs like RNTCP, ICTC, IATP & External Quality Assurance Programs (EQAS).
- To involve UG students in research activities like students’ ICMR projects (STS).
- To encourage research to bridge the gap between Allopathy and Indian Medicinal Systems.