The department of Pharmacology was established in 2001 and our department had made significant contributions towards the development of the institute. It started out as a department imparting basic knowledge and skills in the safe and effective use of medicines to undergraduates in MBBS, BDS and BSc Nursing. Today, it is a full-fledged postgraduate teaching cum services department with ADR monitoring, Paediatric drug formulations, pharmacy services, preparation of plant extracts for research and Drug Information Services.
- To develop expertise in the field of Pharmacology regarding undergraduate teaching using innovative TL tools to promote Rational prescribing, Pharmacovigilance, Pharmaco-economics, Pharmacogenetics and Research.
- To empower our students and faculty so that they are at par with global standards with regards to their competence, professionalism, evidence-based medicine and as dedicated researchers.
- To integrate with various departments for collaborative research.
- An integrated curriculum for undergraduates within the framework of regulatory bodies.
- To develop e-portfolio and trustable professional activities for assessment of competency-based residency program for postgraduates.
- To monitor and regularize rational prescription and error-free dispensing to the patients.
- To develop specialties like pharmacogenomics and therapeutic drug monitoring with state of the art technology to provide individualized patient care at an affordable cost.
- To expand our services to clinicians with drug information, Pharmacoeconomics and establish good Pharmacovigilance services.
Innovations and Best Practices
- Phi Sci wall Journal for the dissemination of pharmacology updates, development of writing, editorship skills and crossword puzzles for UG’s & PGs
- Insisting on Rational Prescribing, Generic Prescribing, Prescribing according to WHO prescribing pattern for UGs.
- A Go green initiative by the department is bicycle to work day celebrated on 10th May of every year.
Plans for the Future
We plan to establish a postgraduate museum for catering to recent advances in Pharmacology. Activities in Drug Information Services (DIS) and Pharmacovigilance will be scaled up with the setting up of a DIS Center in the hospital premises. Prescription event monitoring (PEM) will be integrated into the hospital management system with the setting up of intranet services which will enhance patient safety through safer use of medicines. Establishment of a Hospital Therapeutics Committee for safe and effective use of medicines in the hospital is on the anvil. We propose to establish a Drug development & Medical Research Center (DDMRC) with BA/BE facilities depending on feasibility and management support. We are already on the way to successfully organizing CMEs in Stem cell therapy, Pharmacogenomics and we plan to organize many more workshops and seminars on Clinical and Basic Pharmacology, Clinical Research, frontier areas in Pharmacology such as Nano medicine, Pharmacoeconomics, Pharmacoepidemiology etc. We are planning to have Pharmaceutical industry exposure and training of faculty and postgraduates in clinical research by postings, or tie-ups with industry.
These endeavors are in keeping with the motto of the department –
“Our aim is not only to SUCCEED, rather it is to EXCEL and EXCEED”