Critical Care Medicine
Patient care services offered
There is a dearth of hospitals with critical care facilities and dedicated trained doctors to take care of critically ill patients. Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth University, Puducherry, has always envisioned the university as an academic and patient care center of excellence in all dimensions. The Department of Critical Care Medicine at Mahatma Gandhi Hospital is a Nodal center for academic and patient care commitments. Mahatma Gandhi Hospital is the only institute in the state of Puducherry to have a separate department of Critical Care Medicine. The department has initiated the teaching and training in Critical Care Medicine at the hospital.
Special services and practices
- Round the clock trained and qualified Intensivists available to take care of complex critically ill patients
- Well equipped with amenities available for mechanical ventilation (invasive & non-invasive), hemodynamic monitoring, point of care arterial blood gas analysis, ultrasound assessments and dialysis (in-hospital).
- All Bedside procedures are done under Ultrasound Guidance to ensure Precision and Safety
- Exclusively Critical care trained staff nurses with 1:1 patient to nurse ratio to offer protocol-based care to critically ill patients
- State of art critical care set up with modular beds and facility to prevent pressure sore injury
- Critical care training programs run by the department to train doctors and staff nurses in and around Puducherry which are endorsed by International and National organizations.
- Comparable success rates in patient outcome to the best of national standards.
- We do face situations like unavailability of Critical care beds simply because being a Multispecialty Tertiary Care Hospital. We receive critically sick patients from all government and Private Hospitals from districts of Chidambaram, Cuddalore and such as. Mahatma Gandhi Hospital is also an impaneled hospital for the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister’s Health Scheme, ESIC, CGHS and such as. Therefore, we are under constant pressure to take up critically ill patients. Not to mention the patients referred by important Political persons and Bureaucrats. Having mentioned that, we are fully committed to providing quality treatment to all patients.
- Expansion of the facilities to cater to the requirements of Puducherry and nearby states.
- Establishing a training center for doctors and nurses of other institutions and hospitals in Puducherry
MD,PDF IN (CCM),IDCCM