Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC)
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC) of Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, Puducherry (MGMCRI) was established in the year 2009, aimed at promoting ethical clinical research that protects the rights and safety of study participants. The undergraduates, postgraduates and Ph.D. Scholars, faculties and anyone who undertake clinical research in the institute follow the ethical guidelines necessitated by IHEC, MGMCRI.
The Institutional Human Ethics Committee (IHEC), reviews all research proposals on human participants as per ICMR guidelines 2017. Proposals that have less than minimal risk or no risk is reviewed by the subcommittee. Our IHEC is recognized by Forum for Ethics Review Committees of the Asia and Western Pacific Region (FERCAP), under the SIDCER initiative of the WHO. It is also registered with Department of Health Research (DHR) and Drug Controller General of India (DCGI).
How to submit a proposal for ethical clearance
- Prior Approval Certificate: IHEC will consider only those proposals that are approved by Institutional Research Committee (IRC), Postgraduate training and Research Committee (PGRC), Ph.D. doctoral Committee, Clinical Trial Research Committee (CTRC) and other appropriate committee.
- All application must be as per the SBV, MGMCRI template format and must be signed by all involved investigators, and other relevant authorities of the Department/ University as applicable.
- Application must be addressed to the Member Secretary / Chairperson of IHEC, MGMCRI.
- All applications must be submitted in duplicate (print -hard copies) and one soft copy (only in PDF) on a pen drive at the Office of IHEC. (Email submission will not be accepted)
- Application received only 4 weeks before the schedules meeting will be eligible to be taken up for the next upcoming meeting.
- It is the PI`s responsibility to submit the corrections advised within the stipulated time (preferable within 5 working days).
- Incomplete Forms/ Protocols are liable to undue delays
- The Complete Protocol Package as per the IHEC SOP is necessary to initiate the Review process
- If required the PI may be invited by the Secretary, IHEC to clarify ethical doubts, either orally, or in writing or in form of presentation. In such event, the PI personally or with his Team has to make himself/ team available for the clarification. In the unusual event that the PI is unable to be present he/she representative along with a letter highlighting reasons for absence.
- Six monthly or annually progress report and study closure report are mandatory.
- Changes in the title, objectives, methodology and /or analysis requires reporting to the IHEC, which will be decided on whether fresh application for ethical clearance is required.
- Decision on ethical waiver, exemption review, expedited review or full board review rest solely with the IHEC.
LIST OF MEMBERS FOR THE INSTITUTIONAL HUMAN ETHICS COMMITTEE 2019-2022
POST IN ETHICS COMMITTEE
External / Internal
|Dr. P. Jambulingam||Former Director, ICMR- Vector Control Research Centre, Department of Health Research, MH & FW)|
|Dr. G. Sivagnanam||Professor & Head of Department of Pharmacology, IGIDS|
|Dr. Latha Chaturvedula||Professor Obs. & Gynaecology, JIPMER|
|Dr. Reena Gulati||Additional Professor of Paediatrics, JIPMER|
|Dr. Medha R||Additional Professor,Department of Biochemistry, JIPMER|
Basic Medical Scientist
|Dr. K. Chandrasegaran||Retd. Associate Professor Dr.Ambedkar Govt. Law College|
|Dr. A. Hannah Rachel Vasanthi||Professor, Department of Biotechnology, Pondicherry University|
|Dr.S.Arul Jothi Selvi||Assistant Prof. in Zoology, Periyar Government Art College|
|Mr. R Angamouttou||Professor of Social Sciences, KGNC|
|Dr. N. Ananthakrishnan||Professor of Surgery, MGMCRI|
|Dr. C. Adithan||Dean (Research) and Professor of Pharmacology, MGMCRI|
Basic Medical Scientist
|Dr. Lokesh S||Professor & Head of Medicine, MGMCRI|
|Dr. Siva Ranganathan Green||Associate Professor of Medicine, MGMCRI|
SOP table of contents
1. Preparation of SOP
2. IHEC constitution
3. Handling conflict of interest
4. Responsibilities of ICs
5. Guest visit
6. Management of research protocols
7. Categorization of study
7A. Full board review
7B. Expedited review
7C. Exemption from Ethics Review of Research Study Protocols
8. Preparation of agenda, meeting and minutes
9. Resubmitted and amended protocols
10. Continuing review of study protocols
11. Protocol violations
12. Review of SAE
13. Study completion reports
14. Managing Premature termination of study
15. Waiver of consent
16. Site monitoring
17. Dealing with Participant’s Requests and Complaints
18. Maintenance of records
19. Review of proposals involving vulnerable population
20. Preparation for audit
21. Training of IHEC members
1. Cover letter-template
2. Curriculum Vital for the Investigators
3a. Checklist for protocol submission-Student
3b. Checklist for protocol submission-Faculty
3c. Checklist for protocol submission-Clinical Trial
4. Declaration or Integrity statement
5. Review Exemption Form
6. Expedited Review ( to be submitted along with cover letter)
7. Requisition for waiver of consent
8. Protocol related documents Amendment Request and Assessment Form
9. Continuing Review Application Form
10. Data Elements for reporting serious adverse events occurring in a clinical trial
11. Study Completion Report
12. Request or Complaint form
13. Document Request Form
14. Checklist-Requirements for research involving children
15. Checklist-Requirements for research involving pregnant women & fetuses
16. Checklist-Research involving students, employees or residents
17. Checklist-Research involving cognitively impaired adults
18. Checklist-Considerations for genetic research
Certificate Course in Bioethics on Human Research