Critical care medicine is a well-evolved branch of medicine over the past two decades in India. The efforts to scientific meaningful service in critical care should be established through research and training as a postgraduate specialty. Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine (ISCCM) established in 1993 in India, is an association of ‘Intensivists’ playing a major role in leading growth to critical care medicine practice, teaching & training. The establishment of a structured curriculum-based training course in a postgraduate teaching institute like Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute will enhance the research dimension in critical care medicine. The department aims at starting DM Critical Care Medicine course as a tandem process.
1. To train a resident to become a competent ‘expert’ in the field of critical care medicine capable of acquiring the role of a Consultant of the specialty. 2. To acquire knowledge of the theoretical basis of the critical care specialty including basic medical sciences foundations & research. 3. To develop appropriate skills, attitude & practice for optimal, ethical, patient-centred practice of critical care medicine. 4. To build a ‘scholar’ in adult critical care medicine with a lifelong commitment to dedicated efforts of learning, applying and disseminating the knowledge.
Candidates with Diploma in Anaesthesiology/DTCD/Orthopaedics MD in Medicine/Pulmonary Medicine/Anaesthesiology DNB in Medicine/Pulmonary Medicine/ Anaesthesiology MS Gen Surgery/Orthopaedics are eligible to apply for this course.
The postgraduate qualification must be from a University and recognized by the Medical Council of India.
Candidates need to apply directly to Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute (MGMCRI). Selection will be done by the ISCCM recognized teacher of the MGMCRI based on the candidate’s eligibility. ISCCM is not involved in the selection process directly or indirectly.
- Application & Selection Process:
|Advertisement for the course||10/05/2019|
|Last date of Submission of Application||14/06/2019||Download the application forms from following links for the respective courses:
1.Indian Diploma in Critical Care Medicine (IDCCM)(Student Form)
2.POST MBBS CERTIFICATE COURSE IN CRITICAL CARE
3. Indian Diploma in Critical Care Nursing Attach all the necessary certificates & experience certificates as mentioned in the application form & submit to 1.Indian Diploma in Critical Care Medicine (IDCCM)(Student Form) 2.POST MBBS CERTIFICATE COURSE IN CRITICAL CARE 3. Indian Diploma in Critical Care Nursing Department of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care, 2nd Floor, Main OT Complex, Mahatma Gandhi Medical College & Research Institute, Pondicherry. Phone: (0413) 2616700 Ext: 229 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Interview for the courses||20/06/2019||Attend the interview with a copy of your CV & academic experience certificates|
|Results||21/06/2019||The selected candidates’ names will be displayed on the notice board of the Department of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care|
|Course Joining||01/07/2019||Report to the Department of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care. The candidate will be relieved from the post only after completion of the speculated duration of residency|
|Registration with ISCCM||31/08/2019||Follow instructions according to ISCCM website.|
Selection policy & stipend for course candidates
The selected candidates (except ‘In-house’ candidates: please see below) will be appointed as follows:
|IDCCM||Senior Resident (Post MD/ MS / Post diploma)||Equivalent to the salary of a Senior resident post|
|Post MBBS certification course||Junior Resident||Equivalent to the salary of a Junior Resident post|
|IDCCN||Staff nurse||Equivalent to the salary of a Staff Nurse post|
Selection Policy for ‘In-house’ candidates
MGMCRI institute faculties / Junior residents / Staff nurses desirous of joining the respective courses are required to undergo the same selection process. The designation & remunerations of the faculty / junior resident/staff will be preserved for their respective cadre. These in-house candidates should give a bond against SBV University of 2 years of compulsory service after course completion. They will be exclusively working under the Department of Critical Care Medicine. A penalty of 4 Lakhs (Rupees Four lakhs only) will be fined on the breach of the bond before speculated time period. The faculty members not availing ‘In-house’ status for joining the course will be designated as senior resident after discontinuation of their appointed post in the respective departments. A salary equivalent to senior resident post will be allotted to them.
|Postings||Duration of postings|
|A. Post MD/MS/DNB candidates (1-year course duration)|
|Critical care unit||8 months|
|Emergency department:||1 month|
|CVTS care unit:||1 month|
|Operation theatre:||1 month|
|B. Post DA/ DTCD candidates & Post MBBS course candidates (2 years course duration)|
|Critical care unit||16 months|
|Emergency department:||2 months|
|CVTS care unit:||2 months|
|Operation theatre:||2 months|
|C. IDCCN candidates (1-year course duration)|
|Medical ICU||4 months|
|Surgical ICU||4 months|
|Coronary Care Unit (CCU) / CTVS||1 month|
|Emergency Department||1 month|
|Dialysis unit / Transplant unit||1 month|
|Paediatric / OT||1 month|
Bedside clinical rounds: The resident will be presenting the cases to the consultant daily on the clinical rotations. The revolutionary use of ultrasound as a clinical stethoscope is a highlight of daily ICU rounds. The emphasis is given on ethics in critical care medicine, end of life care and evidence-based practice in critical care medicine during bedside discussions.
Classroom teaching: Weekly one day’s classroom academic activity will be organized, which includes:
- Lectures/seminars: conducted by the teaching faculty
- Journal club/case reporting/case discussion: conducted by the resident students.
In addition to the above academic activities, it is imperative that the students attend the following courses in one/ two year’s training:
ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
BASIC provider course
ISCCM CME / Refresher course
Dr. Sameera M Jahagirdar
Department of Critical Care Medicine
Landline : 0413-2616700 (ext.229) Email: email@example.com